For 4 reasons:
- Help developers predict as early as possible if their app will be banned, since Apple will only consider your app at the final stage and won't give any detailed specifications.
- Educate consumers about which functions not to expect from their iPhone any time soon.
- Educate competing platforms developers about their advantage over the iPhone.
- Make Apple understand that they are doing the same mistake they did with the Mac about 20 years ago (yeah right).
Please help building the list by adding comments. (appname - [link|reason] - (date))
- Podcaster - duplicates the functionality of the Podcast section of iTunes - 2008-Sep-09
- NetShare - unknown reason - 2008-Aug-01
- Murderdrome - contravening Apple's content guidelines - 2008-Aug-26
- MailWrangler - duplicates the functionality of the built-in iPhone application Mail - 2008-Sep-21
- Slasher - content could be considered “objectionable” - 2008-Aug-08
- more in your comments...